HIRING LIFEGUARDS and CAMP STAFF
Please e-mail us your resume and cover letter at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please ensure that the applicant is the only person in contact with the office.
Please e-mail us directly from an e-mail address that we can contact you back at.
- How do I apply?
How do I Apply?
Please read the following to ensure that you have all the required information about the application process:
- Familiarize yourself with our company, our facility, and our programs. All of this information can be found on the website.
Ask yourself the following questions......
- Are you prepared to go through an extensive application process that involves homework, handing in assignments on time, and a very long full day at our interview process if you are asked to attend?
- Are you prepared to work outdoors for at least 8 hours each day that you are scheduled (rain or shine)?
- Are you willing to have a summer job that may include prep work on evenings and weekends?
- (Counselors) Are you prepared to work between 6 to 9 weeks full-time over the summer?
- (Jr Counselors) Are you prepared to work 5 to 8 weeks this summer?
If you would like to apply please follow the instructions listed.....
Kids Inc Camp has a high rate of staff retention and therefore we do not hire a large amount of staff each year. We love to welcome new and exciting staff members to our team! We are very careful in ensuring that all new members will complement our current staff team, and as such our application and interview process is very challenging! We hope that you are up to the challenge!Good luck!
- Applicants should e-mail us their resume and cover letter between Dec 15th and March 15th.
- E-mail your resume in the form of a word document. Thank you!
- Send us a cover letter that tells us what position you are applying for. Are you applying as a Junior Counsellor or a Counsellor?
- You will need an e-mail address of your own to apply.
- All communication and contact with our office should be made by the person who wishes to obtain employment. Contact from anyone other than the applicant on behalf of the applicant is not permitted. Thank you.
- Applications will not be accepted from a parent, guardian, agency, friend, sibling or any other third party on behalf of the applicant.
- Once you have submitted your resume you will hear back from us if you are selected for an interview.
- No matter when you send your resume you will hear back from us if you are selected for an interview after March 15th. Please do not follow up with us prior to that time.
- Selected candidates will be given pre interview assignments to complete. They must be handed in to our office by the specified due date. Late assignments will not be accepted and the interview will not be granted.
- If you are asked to attend an interview, please note that it could be up to an 8 hour process that you will spend with us during the activity day. This day will be held on a weekend in April or May. If you are not interested in attending an interview process of this length please do not apply. Thank you.
- Our interview process is very unique and you will get more information about the process if you are invited to the interview. You will need to be sure that you are comfortable with the interview process prior to committing to attend. Thank you.
- Requirements for Employment
Requirements for Employment
- All applicants are required to communicate with the camp office themselves. Communication from anyone other than the applicant on behalf of the applicant with our office is not permitted. This is very important to us at Kids Inc Camp as the job requires self motivation and leadership skills.
- To apply as a Junior Counsellor you must be in your 15th year (you may be 15 at the time of employment or thereafter - but you must be 15 within the year of your employment - there are no exceptions to this - thank you) or 16 years of age if you have not attended a camp LIT/Leadership program and or if you have no previous experience working with children. No previous experience required to apply as a Junior Counsellor. You must indicate that you are applying as a Junior Counsellor on your cover letter or you will be considered to be applying as a Counsellor. Thank you.
- To apply as a Regular Counsellor you must be at least 16 year of age at the time of employment and have previous experience working with children, or be a certified lifeguard. If you are 16 and not sure if you should apply as a Junior or Regular Staff member based upon the information provided to you here please e-mail the office to discuss.
- All applicants 17 and over would apply as Regular Counsellors.
- You must have your CPR and First Aid as of July 1st. We require Emergency or Standard First Aid with CPR. No online certifications will be accepted. We prefer Lifesaving Society, St.John's Ambulance, or Red Cross - others may be verified with our office upon hiring if you have any further questions. You must re-certify every 2 years while employed with us at Kids Inc Camp.
- You must provide Kids Inc Camp with 3 personal references.
- You must provide Kids Inc Camp with a criminal records check if you are 18 years of age or older.
- You must hand in all pre-interview questions and assignments on or before the due date. These will be e-mailed to you if you are accepted into the application process after we review your resume.
- You must attend 100% of our interview process.
- Regular Counselor candidates must have one or more of the following: previous camp experience, experience working with children in a recreational environment, or volunteer experience in child care or recreation.
- You must hold an NLS or Bronze Cross if you are applying for a job that includes lifeguarding. NLS Guards are hired far more often than any of our other positions and therefore if you have your NLS we very much look forward to hearing from you.
- LIT (Leader In Training) program experience is an asset, but not a requirement. (unless you are 15 and applying as a Junior Counselor)
- Enthusiasm and passion for working with children is a requirement!
- High Five, NCCP coaching, Community and School involvement, NLS and other aquatic certifications, Babysitting Courses, and other certifications that may be valuable for this kind of work environment are helpful. We encourage you to fill your resume with these kinds of experiences prior to submitting your resume to us.
- Many of our employees wish to become teachers. This kind of work environment can be very valuable for that kind of future goal. Letters of reference are provided to all Post Secondary Institutions upon successful completion of at least one summer of employment with us at Kids Inc Camp.
All Kids Inc Camp Staff members including Junior Counselors must be certified in CPR and First Aid by the time our program starts in July. If you wish to wait to take these certifications until you have been hired with us for the summer you are welcome to do that - however - preference is given to any applicants who already have this on their resume. Lifeguards are required to have NLS certification, and assistant guards must hold a Bronze Cross Certification. If you are hired we will discuss these items at the appropriate time.
We provide our staff with ongoing staff training, staff performance reviews, and daily interaction with the camp owners and managers who foster ongoing professional development each and every day. All staff training is a mandatory part of employment with Kids Inc, and must be attended 100% of the time!
- Junior Counsellors will receive on the job training and on-going progress reports.
All applicants are required to communicate with the camp office themselves. Communication from anyone other than the applicant on behalf of the applicant with our office is not permitted.
This is such a key to applying for a job at Kids Inc. Please ensure that this communication protocol is followed.
We do appreciate the fact that parents may have questions about their family members potential employment with Kids Inc. however we ask that you refrain from contacting us. Rather than this we encourage you as a parent to discuss the questions you may have with the applicant in your family. Help them to know what questions are important to ask when job hunting and please let them take it from there.
There are many online resources for first time job hunters or for anyone looking for a job. We encourage job seekers to learn a lot about the implications of taking on a job while they are in the process of looking.
Here are some great resources we have found that are specific to camp to check out: